Why the flu shot should be avoided like the plague
So this year, just like every other year the media is freaking out, urging everyone to go and get the flu shot! “We are on the verge of an epidemic” they claim. “It’s worse this year than the last” “Thousands are dying from the flu!” I hear these things and I laugh. It’s absolutely absurd the way the media hypes things up.
First, I’ll start with the ‘thousands that are dying from the flu’ claim. You can never trust stats. Here’s what I mean – First, the CDC has admitted that they were wrong with their estimated number of deaths. They retracted their “36,000 died from the flu” claim; saying the number is closer to 23,000. Quite a difference! Of course, both numbers have been pulled out of their asses, and both include ridiculous statistics (elderly people who were already very sick; pneumonia cases; other complications of flu, etc.). Less than 1,000 of these deaths are actually from the flu, and the vast majority of those (900 or so) are in elderly people. The rest are typically in immune-compromised people.
There are two major problems with statistics. The main being that on a large scale (aka deaths in the entire US) you cannot control outside variables. As I discovered, less than two percent of all US deaths they claim from the flu are actually from just the flu. There are many other outside factors that relate to most of those deaths. Ask yourself this, when was the last time you personally knew of anyone who died from the flu, just the flu?
The other major issue with statistics is that when you actually do have a group that you can control outside variables, they are too small to matter. Here’s a perfect example…The people who make the drug Lipitor claim that 80% of Heart Attack Victims Have High Cholesterol. Oh my gosh! You have high cholesterol and complete freak out! “I need to get Lipitor so I don’t have a heart attack too!” Well, let me educate you on where they got this 80% from.
30% of the population has high cholesterol; 0.2% (yes that’s point 2 percent) of the population have heart attacks every year (765,000/300,000,000). Lipitor experts say 80% of heart attack victims have high cholesterol.
If we have a sample of 10,000 people:
3000 have high cholesterol
7000 have normal cholesterol
20 have heart attacks
16 of these have high cholesterol
4 have normal cholesterol
So, the overall risk of having a heart attack if you have high cholesterol is 16/3000 or 0.5%! Imagine if they had used the real statistic in their advertisement: 0.5% of high cholesterol sufferers have heart attacks. Not nearly as compelling is it? This is what we all must understand about these so called “expert’s” statistics. Not to mention 90% of authors of clinical practice guidelines received research funding from, or acted as consultants to drug companies. And believe me, the drug companies control it all. The drug industry is raking in over 400 BILLION in sales. Yes, that billion with a B! So maybe you should think twice before trusting what these experts and the media say.
“Oh, but the CDC, they must have our best interest in mind right? They were created to protect us; they wouldn’t lie to us!” WRONG! The Center for Disease Control appoints a 15-member Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). This committee is responsible for deciding who should be vaccinated each year. Almost all the ACIP have a financial interest in immunizations. It’s all about the money and may have very little to do with your health and well-being. The very people pushing these vaccines stand to make billions of dollars. This itself, should create a doubt on how effective these flu vaccines really are.
On to the actual H1N1 vaccine
Of course, the mainstream wants you to believe that it’s dangerous not to get a flu shot. “You’ll get sick!” they say. “You’ll miss a week of work! You’ll be miserable!” But, most people who don’t get the flu shot don’t get sick. Most people, in general, do not get the flu. It’s also not a dangerous illness for the vast majority of people; it means only a few not-so-fun days riding the couch. Why would you feel the need to get a vaccine for such a minor illness?
1. The flu shot actually isn’t very effective - Studies show that the flu vaccine isn’t particularly effective. Researchers have to simply “guess” which strains will circulate each year. There are dozens of strains, but vaccines contain only three. There’s also a significant reduction in flu rates each year, suggesting that the vaccine matters little: about 3% of people who are not vaccinated get the flu, while 2% who were vaccinated do. Really? We’re looking at only a 1% difference!
2. There is a total lack of real evidence that young children even benefit from flu shots. A systematic review of 51 studies involving 260,000 children age 6 to 23 months found no evidence that the flu vaccine is any more effective than a placebo
3. The flu shot contains thimerosal, the nasty poison that some people say helps cause autism. Think about that before you give your child the flu shot!
4. You will also be injecting mercury into your bodies; having too much mercury in our bodies will harm your immune system! So let’s see, the vaccine that is supposed to prevent me from getting sick is actually going to weaken my immune system, making me more susceptible to more diseases and illnesses??? Our immune systems work much better with no toxins in our system! Mercury toxicity can also cause memory loss, depression, ADD, oral health problems, digestive imbalances, respiratory problems, and cardiovascular diseases.
5. The flu shot also contains aluminum – which is associated with Alzheimer’s disease and seizures; and also produces cancer in laboratory mice.
6. The flu shot has been linked to more hospitalizations in children who have asthma. It has also been linked to increase the risk of seizures in children.
7. The side effects of the flu shot are about the same as the flu! Most common side effects are fever over 100, runny nose, and sore throat. Some people also experience vomiting and diarrhea. Hmm, that makes sense right? That’s like the side effects for a popular migraine drug; it causes headaches!
8. There is mounting evidence that flu shots can cause Alzheimer’s disease. One report shows that people who received the flu vaccine each year for 3 to 5 years had a 10-fold greater chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease than people who did not have any flu shots. Also with age the immune system weakens, thus lowering your ability to fight off infections. Introducing the flu virus in the bodies of elderly could have dangerous consequences.
9. The flu shot also can contain the following:
· Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
· Phenol, also known as carbolic acid (this is used as a disinfectant, and also as dye)
· Formaldehyde, a known cancer-causing agent
· Neomycin and Streptomycin which causes allergic reactions in some people
Wow, quite intense isn’t it? Why in the world would you ever consider getting the flu shot knowing this? It is our duty to question conventional practices; especially when large amounts of money are involved. We have to educate ourselves and find the truth! To quote Mark Twain, “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” Great advice to live by.
So how do I prevent the flu without getting the shot?
· Washing your hands (obviously) - Viruses spread most often from touching contaminated objects, like doorknobs, phones, shared computer keyboards, and shaking hands.
· Optimizing your vitamin D levels - Vitamin D regulates the expression of more than 1,000 genes throughout the body. They include ones in macrophages, cells in the immune system that, among other things, attack and destroy viruses. Vitamin D switches on genes in macrophages that make antimicrobial peptides, antibiotics the body produces. Like antibiotics, these peptides attack and destroy bacteria; but unlike antibiotics, they also attack and destroy viruses.
· Vitamin C - I am a fan of mega dosing (see http://www.naturalnews.com/034591_vitamin_C_mega-dose_healing.html) - It’s also water soluble, so your body will flush out what it doesn’t need. Therefore it’s not dangerous to take too much
· Get out, get moving - it’s easy to just sit around and be cozy when it’s cold outside. But getting up and moving around will get things moving in your body and help it clear out the “junk” that is sitting in your cells. Adults in particular must move around for this to happen! Exercise also strengthens you and just plain makes you feel better!
· Get plenty of rest - if you’re exhausted, you’ll be more susceptible to illness. Try to get rest and sleep so that you’re not overtired, and you’ll be less likely to get sick.
· Eat a healthy diet with plenty of healthy fat - You need a healthy diet all the time, but especially when illness is circulating and you don’t have access to sunlight. Pastured butter has some vitamin D in it, as well as K2 and other fat soluble vitamins. Coconut oil contains the medium chain fatty acid called lauric acid, which is anti-viral and can help keep you from getting sick.
· Avoid Sugar – it suppresses immunity
· Avoid Omega-6 – also suppresses immune system
Other methods to help prevent/fight the flu
· Take elderberry syrup daily — Elderberry is awesome stuff. It has properties in it that make colds and flu very unlikely to take hold in your body. In one study of people who had contracted the flu, people who took a placebo had flu symptoms that were moderate and lasted 6 days, while people who took elderberry had symptoms that were mild and lasted only 2 days!
· Consume plenty of probiotics — In addition to your “regular” healthy diet, make sure you are getting lots ofprobiotics! It will promote healthy gut flora and can help clear out any illnesses that might be trying to take hold in your system. Ideally you should consume a small amount of probiotic foods with every meal. We like yogurt and kombucha, but there are lots of options.
There are many safe and natural methods out there for preventing/fighting the flu. My suggestion to you if your doctor suggests the flu shot – ask him to read the insert that comes with the vaccine. Then have him/her explain why it makes sense to inject toxic chemicals into the human body and how such substances can aid the delicate immune system. Chances are he/she will fall back on questionable statistical and demographic explanations that the medical establishment has used for decades to justify immunization. Try to engage your doctor in a non-confrontational discussion because this is an opportunity for him/her to actually give some serious thought to what he/she is injecting or nasally delivering into the bodies of patients day after day after day. Many traditional doctors who haven’t studied diet and life style aren’t going to change unless we help to educate them to what drugs and vaccines may really be doing long-term to people.
Still don’t wanna belive me? Still want to trust in the good ol American government? Google ‘Swine Flu vaccine of 1976’ and get back to me.
Best health to you all,
Exercise Physiologist & Owner of dhFIT